We are committed to complying with Australian Privacy laws and the Spam Act.
We believe in trusted relationships with our customers and consumers. We also believe it is important that consumers and businesses should have access to complete, accurate and timely property information.
Primarily, we use personal information for the provision of property information services to our subscribers, customers and consumers for their use in the property and financial industries. Not all of the information collected and held by us will be personal information. In fact the vast majority of the information we source from third parties does not reveal your identity.
This policy applies to RP Data and its subsidiaries, as set out below.
We collect personal information to enable us to provide our services. We also collect a broad range of non-personal information. Some of the information we collect includes:
- property ownership details
- historical sales data for property, including previous owner information, sales price and date of sale
- details regarding properties listed or advertised for sale
- property attributes and property location details
- photographs of property
- contact information (such as address details and telephone numbers) of property owners, tenants, real estate agents, valuers and finance brokers
- contact information and payment information (such as bank account and credit card details) for our customers, users and subscribers
- information pertaining to products and services ordered from us and their use
- statistical and demographic information.
Accuracy and Completeness
We are committed to providing accurate and complete property information. If you become aware that any information in our databases is inaccurate or incomplete, then please notify us (with as much detail as possible) and we will use our best efforts to verify that information and correct or update the information in our databases.
Our contact details to provide corrected or updated information are via our enquiry form.
We may collect information about you or a property that you own:
- directly from you, for example, when you provide information to us (such as when you order a product or service from us, when you complete a form on a website, when you subscribe to a newsletter, when you enter a competition, when you provide a response to a survey, and when you provide us with corrected or updated information about a property)
- from related companies of RP Data
- from third parties, such as State Government departments & agencies, local councils, valuers, banks, home loan providers, mortgage brokers and real estate agents
- from publicly available information about you or a property that you own (such as from newspaper advertisements and property listings).
If you provide data to us which includes personal information of another, you must first obtain consent from that person. By providing that information to us, you represent that you have obtained such consent.
We collect information on our own behalf and on behalf of others. Where we collect information on behalf of others, we require that they comply with Australian privacy laws.
We may engage third parties to provide services to us, which may include collecting and processing personal information on our behalf. We require that such third parties comply with Australian privacy laws.
Use and Discloure
We may use information about you to:
- provide products and services to you
- verify your identity
- administer and manage products and services provided to you, including charging, billing, account management, and debt collection
- perform administrative and operational tasks (including risk management, systems development and testing, credit scoring and staff training, and market or customer satisfaction research)
- provide you with news and information, as well as promote and market products, services and special offers made available by us, our related companies and third parties (unless you ask us not to) (subject to any prohibitions in our contracts with third parties)
- generate records and reports based on your use of our services
- conduct research about our products and services
- develop products and services
- respond to any specific request you make of us
- prevent or investigate any fraud or crime (or a suspected fraud or crime)
- audit and monitor the services we provide.
We may disclose information about you to:
- your authorised representatives and agents
- our agents, contractors and third party service providers to enable them to provide administrative and other services for or to us
- our customers and subscribers as part of a product or service offered by us
- third parties to enable them to provide you with news and information and to promote and market products, services and special offers (unless you ask us not to)
- others where the disclosure is required by law, for example, to government agencies and regulatory bodies as part of our statutory obligations, or for law enforcement purposes
- an organisation that acquires all or part of our assets or businesses.
We may also use or disclose information about you where we have obtained your consent, where we have obtained the the information from another party (eg the valuer generals department of your state government) for a specified purpose, or as required by relevant laws, statutes, regulations, codes and external payment systems.
Where you provide information to us, you consent to use and disclosure of that information in accordance with this Policy.
We collect information from publicly available sources such as the valuer general office in each State and Territory. Your use of this information must be in accordance with the rules set down by the relevant information provider. These rules are contained in the terms and conditions of your contract with us. The information provider’s rules may be amended from time to time and therefore so too will the terms of your contract.
When we provide personal information to our customers and subscribers as part of a product or service offered by us, we require them:
- to never use personal information for direct marketing
- to comply with all third party use restrictions (which are set out in the terms and conditions of your contract with us where the personal information is collected by a third party and provided to us
- to comply with the Privacy Act.
We are committed to ensuring the security of our websites, and we incorporate security practices and procedures which we consider are consistent with Australian industry standards. We review our security procedures from time to time and update them when relevant. All orders placed online using a credit card are covered by SSL security technology to protect customer details.
Each time you visit one of our websites, web servers may collect certain information including your IP address, the date, time and duration of your visit and the pages, documents and services accessed. We use these non-personalised statistics about the use of our websites to continually improve our websites and customer service, and to create aggregated data and data products regarding the property market or product trends that we may provide to third parties.
We may also use (and may engage third parties to use) this information to help improve and tailor our websites, and to select advertisements that may be displayed to you on our websites.
Our websites contain links to the websites of third parties. If you access those third party websites they may collect information about you. You will need to contact them to ascertain their privacy standards. We are not responsible for the conduct of the operators of third party websites.
- determine whether you have previously accessed our websites
- identify the pages you have accessed
- aid in the security of your use of our RP Data websites
- aid in the log-in process
- facilitate administration of RP Data websites.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies but you may configure your browser not to acceptthem. If you set your browser to reject cookies you may not be able to make full use of our websites.
We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the internet. We recommend that you take all necessary precautions to protect your personal information while you are online, including installing appropriate operating system updates, browser updates, virus protection software and firewall software.
Credit card details
If you provide us with your credit card details for payment of products and services, we will only use that information for the purpose of processing your payment, which includes disclosing the information to our third party credit card gateway provider. We will retain a record of the last 4 digits of your credit card number for auditing and verification purposes only.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information about you that we collect, use or disclose is accurate.
You may request access to personal information that we hold about you. Before providing you with access to the personal information that we hold about you, we may require that you first provide us with documentary evidence verifying your identity and proof of ownership (insofar as the personal information relates to the ownership of a property). Subject to us being satisfied with such verifying documents, we will only refuse a request for access to personal information when permitted by law (including the National Privacy Principles) and, in the unlikely event that this occurs, will give a written explanation for our decision. We will not charge you a fee for your access request but may charge you the reasonable cost of processing your request.
If you would like to request access to the information we hold about you, please contact our Privacy Officer (contact details below).
If, at any time, you do not wish to receive marketing correspondence or email newsletters (such as Property Pulse) from us, please use the “unsubscribe” form provided or advise our Privacy Officer, and we will cease future correspondence and, if requested, remove your personal information from our marketing database.
We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or required by law to collect that information). The Privacy Act defines the expression “Sensitive information’ It includes information about your health, your race or ethnic origin and religious beliefs.
We may record and monitor telephone calls between you and us for training, service quality control and compliance purposes.
If you have a complaint about our treatment of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (contact details below). Our Privacy Officer will investigate your complaint and endeavour to resolve any issue to your satisfaction.
If we do not adequately answer your concerns, you have the right to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.
Locked Bag 5
Eagle Farm QLD 4009
Please provide us with your full name, address and contact number when contacting our Privacy Officer.
RP DATA is a trademark of RP Data Pty Ltd.